Saturday, October 27, 2018

My Bubble!


The study of proxemics examines the movement and location of individuals in a space. As an introvert, I value my personal space as it gives me space to observe, listen and absorb everything without feeling too close to someone I may not know. I’m sure this is a common feeling among many. Whether it be choosing to sit in the stands versus standing floor admission at a concert, arriving to a movie theater early to get a good seat, requesting a corner booth your favorite restaurant or possibly even paying a higher premium to have extra room on an airplane—most of us have gone out of our way to make a certain space more comfortable.

The study of proxemics provides in depth information relating to you and another individual’s proximity to one another. An observational study conducted by Marek Hendrykowski proves that proximity is more than an abstract model, and instead, an ecosystem that influences daily life. He says, “When analyzed in terms of the proxemics of interpersonal relationships, the cultural ecosystem is not an abstract model but an operating system which governs the daily living conditions of individuals, groups and communities.

Source
One concert that I went to at the PNC Music Pavilion, my assigned seat was next to one of the large supporting columns. At first, I thought it was going to be annoying, but it turned out to be quite nice. There was no one sitting to my right, no one directly behind me or in front. Although, seating was still cramped, and I was shoulder to shoulder with my brother, but it could have been worse. Also, growing up out of the country I surfed a lot. Surfers have several “unwritten” codes. One of which directly relates to proxemics. Out there the water everyone tries to stay away from each other and out of the way. Rarely are you ever closer than 10 to 12 feet away from someone (depending on the swell and location). Sitting out on the water in isolation staring out into the horizon is the best feeling in the world.

Proximity can be understood through several zones based on measurements from your core.
·         Intimate Zone (0” to 18”): Ex- Greetings
o   Some senses such as sound, smell, body heat, and bodily movements are heightened in this zone.
·         Personal Zone (18” to 48”): Ex: Interview
o   Sensory awareness is apparent, but not heightened. You are close but not too close.
·         Social Zone (48” to 12’-0”): Ex- Conversing with friends
o   In this zone, sensory awareness varies depending on closeness. Depending on the setting, you could be conversating with friends/family or overhearing a distant party’s conversation.
·         Public Zone (12’-0” to 25’-0”): Ex- Concert
o   Sensory awareness is almost indistinguishable.
Sketch by me
Personally speaking, I understand how the study of proxemics affects how individuals go about their daily lives. Many of those who are like myself sometimes go out of their way to feel comfortable in a space. By understanding the key concepts of this study, it will help myself as a designer to create spaces for likeminded people.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marek Hendrykowski. (2015). Proxemics: A study on cultural anthropology. Przestrzenie,
 Teorii, (23), 39-51.

2 comments:

  1. As a surfer, I know exactly what you mean when it comes to the unwritten codes of territory in the water. Especially down south in California like in Huntington beach, there is a lot of claim to who gets a wave based purely on territory and dominance within the water. A sort of "this is my space, get lost" sort of vibe. Then I have also been to surf spots where the environment is very different and encourages interaction and inclusion in the personal space of others where you treat each other more like family, even if you don't know any of them! Overall, I really liked the example you had on surfing in relation to proxemics and I think it can be applied in many different aspects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You used some good examples in your post. I liked your quote, this was not an easy post to find relevant, pear reviewed material for. Thinking about the corner booth or paying for more room on an airplane is interesting to me. I never thought about it. I just sit wherever. Thank you for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Buying Vs. Building

Building Vs. Buying Source Getting a new home, in itself, takes a lot of time and is a lot to think about. Then you have the optio...