Friday, October 12, 2018

Design Philosophy


Traveling the world from a young age planted roots of curiosity, inspiration and awareness. I was 8 years old when I left America to live abroad. Learning to adapt to a completely new culture, language and environment at a young age is a feeling encompassed by doubt, fear and loneliness. However, looking back, I can honestly say that my time living outside of the United States played a great role in how I perceive the world and its surroundings.

Curiosity: Figuring out who you are is tough. As for me, I’ve changed my major 3 times since I began college. But if I go back to my childhood roots, my passion for curiosity, inspiration and awareness were right in front of me all along. My dad was a real estate developer for luxury beach condominiums in Costa Rica. I grew up being involved in everything—from first drafts to finished developments. Isn’t odd how finding yourself takes you back to passions you held as an 8-year-old who knew nothing about the complexities of life?
No automatic alt text available.
Age 9, Jaco, Costa Rica
Inspiration: Design philosophy allows the creator to incorporate a piece of themselves into every project. Even though you can deliver the wants and needs for a specific client, your work will be recognized by specific traits that reflect your own design philosophy. Unique to every designer, it distinguishes us by showcasing individualism and specialized talents. As for me, my upbringing in South America directly influences the way I think about all things design related.
Image result for design philosophy sketch

Awareness: Looking forward, I am hopeful that I can put my touch on projects that I am a part of. I want to be aware of the conditions that make a space feel inviting and like “home.” I want to be aware of the conditions that make a space transpire happiness, love and where memories will be made.  I want to be aware of the conditions that make a space feel like your own.
My Design Philosophy 


Design surrounds us all. It will be interesting to see the approach I take as I embark on my journey as a designer. “Bloom where you are planted.” 1 Corinthians 7:20-24

4 comments:

  1. First off, I think it is so cool that you are from South America and are incorporating influences from a different culture into your designs. Also, I totally agree with your paragraph about curiosity. My dad's curiosity led to him becoming an architect, and my passion of interior design came to be when I watched my dad work. Without my dad's curiosity, I probably would have chosen a major I didn't actually like. Lastly, I completely agree with your paragraph about awareness. I also want to create happy, memorable spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool stuff. I've traveled a lot, but that sounds more like living. You are correct about inspiration and awareness, they will play a huge part in design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. South America is somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit! It’s cool you grew up there. I’m sure you’ve seen so many styles of architecture and witnessed firsthand how culture affects it. My mom’s job kind of led me to this major too. She helped design the pharmacy college at ETSU! I like that you value feelings in a space. I think one of the most important aspects about a space is how it makes you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty great that you grew up in Costa Rica and that it is part of your way of looking at the world. I think that experiencing different cultures definitely helps to be more open to see different perspectives in design. I think that will help you in the future with clients in understanding them, helping them open up to different ideas and it will help you to be more aware on what your clients want.

    ReplyDelete

Buying Vs. Building

Building Vs. Buying Source Getting a new home, in itself, takes a lot of time and is a lot to think about. Then you have the optio...